Welcome! We’re honored to have the chance to serve you
Since 2008, The FruitGuys has provided high quality and unique produce to schools throughout California and other states through our Farm-to-School Program. We offer fresh produce, many items that are local and farm-direct, complimentary nutrition education materials, and great customer service.
Our team has a wealth of experience and we are excited to be of service to your students and staff!
The FruitGuys Farm-to-School Program is the best way to provide a wide variety of seasonal, local, and unique produce to your students and staff on an ongoing basis. We are experts in helping schools meet reporting requirement for state & federal nutrition programs, including:
- National School Breakfast & Lunch Programs
- Fresh Fruit Vegetable Program
- Harvest Of The Month
- CA Thursdays
Our goal is to be an important partner with parents, teachers, and food service staff to combat obesity and related diseases, improve student nutrition, and reduce hunger. Our program is geared to:
- Promote better eating habits
- Encourage physical activity
- Inspires overall wellness and positive behaviors
WHO WE SERVE
Students, staff, and families at:
- Public school districts throughout California (other states, please inquire)
- Private and parochial schools
- Daycare and Afterschool programs
HOW IT WORKS
- Personal sales rep & legendary customer service
- Weekly selection of high-quality unique, farm-direct, and locally-grown produce
- Emailed, easy-to-read pricing sheets – available weekly or monthly
- Complimentary nutrition education materials
- Delivery to single or multiple locations
- Accounting that makes it easy for school admins – consolidated billing options and tracking reports are available
- Menu planning services available – please inquire, restrictions apply
- Health & happiness
Our regional distribution hubs across the country allow us to source fresh, seasonal fruit and veggies closest to you from local farms and wholesalers whenever possible, which also reduces shipping costs and climate impact. Food safety-certified by Primus GFS, the global leader in food safety practices, and CCOF-certified organic handler at select facilities.
WHAT SCHOOLS SAY ABOUT US
- 99% rated the program “excellent” or “good” and that they would recommend it to other schools
- 97% reported that students tried new produce items and ate produce either regularly or most of the time
- 75% stated students were more aware of how produce is grown and where it comes from
- Of the 52% of teachers who spoke to parents, nearly 75% of that group reported increased produce consumption in the home
Here’s a selection of some of schools’ favorite FruitGuys products.
Please take a look – we’re sure something will catch your eye! If you don’t see what you are looking for, please let us know. We can source almost any product to suit your needs.
Already know what you’re looking for?
GRAB ‘N GO BAG
We now offer pre-bagged fruit, fruit & veggies, and unique fruit so all you have to do is hand it out.
- Every month, a variety of preset mixes are available
- Choose from bags of 3, 4 or 5 servings
- Delivered in sealed food-grade individual bags for easy distribution
Whole, ready-to-eat fruit and vegetables packed by count, weight, and with point of origin included on price sheets.
- Perfect for large orders and curriculum-based consumption
- Locally sourced when seasonally available, farm direct, and unique fruit available.
- Weekly and monthly price sheets available
Ordering rare and unique items encourages adventurous eating that can last a lifetime.
- Selection of local, tropical, and unusual heirloom varieties available year round
- Available in bulk cases
- Choose from multiple unique items each month
- Perfect for special events and celebrations for both students and staffs
PRODUCE OF THE MONTH
Each month we feature one locally-grown and one unique fruit or vegetable for you to choose from.
- Add POTM items can to your regular order to try something new and exciting
- Order POTM to conduct a tasting that will engage your community.
- Some options may also be suitable for Harvest of the Month (HOTM) or California Thursday programs.
- Guide to conducting a tasting included
PRE-CUT FRUITS & VEGGIES
Easy snacking with pre-cut and processed fresh fruits and vegetables
- Monthly price sheets
- Year-round availability of selected produce
- Packaged for individual servings or a five-pound tray
Please inquire to see if this option is available in your area
MIXED FRUIT & VEGGIE BOXES
MIXED FRUIT CASES
The FruitGuys legendary signature fruit mixes are available in
Small (16 servings), Medium (25 servings), and Large (50 servings)
- Staples Mix is apples, bananas, & citrus. Available in organic or conventional
- Harvest Mix includes our widest variety of seasonal fruit plus bananas. Available in organic or conventional
- Season’s Best Mix is all seasonal fruit & no bananas
- The Peelable Mix features bananas and citrus like oranges, mandarins, tangerines, and lemons, PLUS a surprise peelable fruit when available
FRUITS & VEGGIES BASICS BOXA seasonal mix of commonly-used vegetables, PLUS seasonal fruit.
- Available in organic or conventional
We can individually wrap the fruit of any fruit mix
Contact us for pricing
MIXED SNACK BOXES
Keep your students and staff excited with a new mix of healthy, clean-ingredient snacks each week! Each box contains a selection of salty, savory, sweet, and protein-rich snacks from mission-driven brands.
Available in Mini (35+ snacks), Small (35+ snacks), Medium (75+ snacks), or Large (160+ snacks).
- Single-serving snacks
- Jerky, cheesy snacks, granola, bars, healthy cookies, chocolatey snacks, seeds, almonds, seaweed, olives, chips, crisps, and more!
- Counter-ready trays/boxes
- Real, pronounceable ingredients
- High in protein and fiber
- No/low/natural sugar
COFFEE & FRUIT GIFT BOX
Perfect for the conscientious coffee lover.
Our Coffee & Fruit Box includes 1 lb. whole beans Bee Bold Medium Roast coffee, Thanksgiving Coffee, a family-owned and operated business in Fort Bragg, CA; 2-3 pieces of hardy seasonal fruit such as apple, citrus, kiwi, pomegranate; 8 Clover Honey sticks from GloryBee, a family B Corp in Oregon; and 2 The FruitGuys snacks (where available).
FRUIT & TEA GIFT BOX
A special gift to warm the heart.
Our Fruit & Tea Gift includes 2-3 pieces of seasonal fruit, 2 FruitGuys brand snacks, GloryBee honey sticks, and a Numi Tea sampler box with a mix of black, green, white, and herbal teas. This gift supports the missions of three B Corp companies: The FruitGuys , Numi Tea , and GloryBee .
Put a smile on everyone’s face! Each SmileSnack contains 9 pieces of fresh-picked seasonal fruit.
CONNECTIONS CRATE GIFTS
Enjoy 6 pieces of seasonal fruit and a selection of salty, savory, sweet, and protein-rich snacks from other mission-driven brands.
Nutrition education is an integrated component of our program to nurture the whole person. Our beautifully-designed content is researched by educators, journalists, and parents. Our materials inspire both students and adults to eat well, play, and relax with ideas on how to embed healthy new habits into busy lives.
- Every school, regardless of annual budget, receives some education materials
- Materials and themes vary from year to year
- Customers get exclusive access to all our nutritional education materials, including archives, via our Client Portal
For easy distribution to teachers, staff, students, and families. Perfect for classroom or at-home use.
- Easily posted to school websites or shared with internal mailing lists
- Easily printed on 8.5 x11 paper for use in classrooms, staff rooms, common areas, or at home
WEEKLY: WELLNESS FLYERS
Short and sweet, eye-catching and fun, weekly flyers include seasonal produce highlights, fun fitness activities, easy healthy recipes, and inspirational quotes. Available every Friday in English and Spanish.
MONTHLY: SCHOOL BULLETIN
Our colorful monthly School Bulletin is packed with a calendar with important and fun holidays; healthy recipes and snack suggestions; DIY craft projects for classroom or home; farm or farmer profiles; and seasonal produce highlights. Available the last Friday of each month in English and Spanish.
ANY TIME: PRODUCE CARDS
Our archive of more than 150 produce cards includes all fruit and vegetables offered at The FruitGuys. Each printable produce card shows each item, what it looks like and how it is grown, as well as key growing areas, history, cultivation, and tips on ripening and how to to enjoy it. Standard nutrition facts provide nutritional information per 100 gram serving. Download anytime to share with students, teachers, and staff. Perfect for use in the cafeteria, classroom, office, or online.
ANYTIME: WELLNESS VIDEOS
The FruitGuys Farm to School wellness videos have been developed specifically with students in mind but are enjoyable for adults as well. Video themes include quick stretch & relaxation breaks, healthy eating and cooking, fun physical activities, farm and farmer visits, school garden projects, and general wellness topics.
NEW: Take a Breather 5-minute mental health and gentle stretching series for grade levels K-2, 3-6, and 7-12 developed with our partner WellFests. Available in the Client Portal.
Printed materials offered to customers vary by year and annual budget spend. They may include posters, banners, and flyers that are colorful, well-designed, and engaging for use in common areas, cafeterias, classrooms, breakrooms, or homes.
Posters are vibrant, informative and specifically-designed for school cafeterias, classrooms, or common areas.
Activity flyers feature fun activities on themes ranging from nutrition and general wellness to cooking, gardening, and movement. Grade appropriate and bilingual English/Spanish.
MATERIALS FOR PURCHASE
- School common areas
- Staff areas
- PTA meetings
- Teacher Appreciation
- Other student, school & staff events
Special items vary by year and annual budget spend. These may include individual student supplies, such as folders, pencils, notebooks, bookmarks, wristbands, or classroom projects such as a spring seed germination activity.
Past events have included Nutrition Fun events (Banana Man visits with fruit distribution) and Wellness Assemblies (fun yoga and nutrition education) by WellFests, The FruitGuys premier wellness events partner. Contact us for more information.
Director of School Programs
I was born and raised in San Francisco but currently live in Belmont, CA with my wonderful husband Paul. We have two amazing daughters who mean the world to us, two cats who have beyond fascinating personalities, and nine pet chickens who we’ve named and are a great source of amusement. We’ve just welcomed sweet Mila into our family, a little black and white border collie mix puppy. She’s already stolen our hearts! The cats and chickens are not amused!! I’m proud to say my mother was one of the first women to open a produce company in S.F. in 1947 and I returned to my family’s produce roots when I started working at The FruitGuys in 2007. One of the highlights of my job is getting to work closely with schools so together we can make a positive difference in students’ lives.
One of my greatest pleasures is cooking, usually with a Mediterranean flair, which comes from my Greek heritage. I love the ocean, taking long beach walks while looking for seashells and seaglass, and watching Paul surf. It’s hard to choose a favorite fruit but I love papayas, white nectarines, and cherries.
School Senior Account Coordinator
I was born and raised in Redwood City, CA. I now reside in Belmont, CA, with my husband and new baby! I have been with The FruitGuys since 2012 as an Account Manager for our School team. I absolutely love working closely with our school clients and seeing how we can best provide their students with our services. One of my favorite parts about my job is getting to visit school sites and seeing the children enjoy the fruit and veggies we’ve provided for them!
In my free time, I love to travel and root on my favorite sports teams! My favorite fruit is pineapple, so much so that when visiting Hawaii, my sister and I carried a 40lb case of pineapple down a dirt road back to our hotel so we could ship them home!
School Customer Service Supervisor
I have lived in the Bay Area for most of my life and currently live with my husband and three boys in South San Francisco, CA—The FruitGuys’ hometown. I joined The FruitGuys in 2014, and it has been a fruit-filled adventure every day since! I love being part of a program that provides children with healthy fruit and vegetables on a daily basis.
Some fun facts about me? I married my high school sweetheart; I love eating seafood; I have two karaoke machines; I own a poodle named Momo, who is the unofficial School team mascot! My favorite fruit is bananas—the world’s most popular fruit and also The FruitGuys’ ambassador fruit.
KRIZZIA DE LA CUESTA
School Account Coordinator
I was born in San Francisco but grew up in Manila, Philippines. Growing up, I remember visiting my grandparents’ home during the summer and one of my favorite things to do there was gathering all the mangoes that fell from the trees in their backyard. You can say I’ve tried mango served in 50 different ways from smoothies to salads. I moved to California in 2015 and joined The FruitGuys in 2018. I find working here very rewarding, as not only do I love working with my wonderful and talented team but I love being part of a child’s health, growth, and wellness.
I love watching movies, musicals and sports! Since moving to the Bay area, I enjoy trying different cuisines either at restaurants or food trucks. My go-to drinks are hot cocoa on colder days and a mango smoothie with a hint of mint on hotter days. If you can’t tell, mango is my all time favorite fruit!
The FruitGuys Executive Team
Founder, CEO, and Chief Banana of The FruitGuys
Chris is responsible for the company’s vision and growth since its founding in his 1-bedroom apartment in San Francisco in 1998. He has a B.S. in business from American University, where he was captain of the rugby team. Chris lives in San Francisco with his wife Pia, who also works in the business. They have three grown children, two dogs, and one cat. His favorite fruit is cherries.
President of The FruitGuys
Erik is responsible for managing strategic growth and business development. Erik brings an accomplished track record to The FruitGuys, with more than 20 years of growing businesses—25 years if you count the five he was a newspaper boy in Southern California. Erik earned an economics and business degree from Colorado College. In his free time, Erik enjoys staying active with his wife and their two children. He is an avid cyclist and loves coaching his kids’ sports teams.
Chief Operating Officer of The FruitGuys
Erin is responsible for all strategic and operational aspects of The FruitGuys operations, as well as creation of new facilities. Previously, Erin worked as a Trader Joe’s manager in Philadelphia and a caseworker in New York City. Erin has a BA in Music from the University of Pennsylvania and is Chris Mittelstaedt’s sister. She lives in San Francisco with her wife and two children. She sings, tap dances, loves making jams and jellies, and swimming in the Bay.
LET'S WORK TOGETHER!
We can’t wait to bring delicious healthy produce to your school!
Tell us a little about yourself and your school and our team will reach out to you shortly.
Food Safety Certified
Our food safety standards are independently verified by PrimusGFS
Certified Organic Handler
We are a certified organic produce handler at select facilities.
We balance profit and purpose.